Tuesday, April 22, 2008

i get by with a little help from my drug addicts

sometimes you need customers who are so completely insane, so unbelievably stupid, to get through the day with a smile on your face. i'll admit that i arrived at work in a very grouchy mood. you see, i'm not a morning person and i prefer to spend the first 30 minutes to an hour after i wake up in quiet solitude, preparing to face the day. that didn't happen this morning. as much as i like my suitemate, i don't enjoy being forced to talk in the morning. and i most certainly do not like being watched as i go through my daily make-up regimen. anyway. as unsociable as i was coming into the pharmacy, i left with a big grin on my face.
it all started when my friend danny and i started texting each other about Charlie the Unicorn. man, that thing cracks me up. i have obviously spent too many years of my life hanging around keith, trent, and ryan. "it's a magical liopleurodon!" wow. anyway. so that made me burst out laughing at random times. then i had this lovely person enter my pharmacy.
man: uh, hi, my, uh, mom sent me to pick up these needles for her, uh, dog.
***BEGIN SUSPICION!***
tech: oh, okay. well, does your mother fill here?
man: yes.
tech: alright, what's her name?
man: uhhhhh............(silence)..........i.....don't......know..........
(at this point myself and the pharmacist are trying not to laugh. i'm being slightly more successful, although i have a goofy grin on my face.)
tech: wait, you don't know your mom's name?
man: uhhhh....well, actually it's, uh, my friend's mom. and, uh, i'm staying with them.
tech: well, we need a prescription in order to fill this.
man: oh, well, okay. they told me it probably wouldn't work.
(wait, who told him what wouldn't work? nothing like admitting you're trying to get needles to shoot up)
man walks out of the pharmacy. when he's about halfway to the door, my pharmacist loses it and just starts cracking up. i manage to retain my composure until i hear the door ding as it opens, then i just lay my head on the counter and start snorting uncontrollably.
these are the drug addicts i LOVE! the ones who think that even though the pharmacist has gone to 6+ years of school and the techs have even been through at least 1 year of training, they can still outsmart us. not so, friend. not so.
i thought it would be more fun to go along with it, though. be all like "oh yeah! barbara did call in that refill for fluffy. we just love fluffy! such a cute little dog!" and see the expression on his face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and it's so funny when these drug addicts are asking you a bunch of questions like, "why do you need that?" Or "Why are you asking me that for?" Or "INSULIN!" giving you a look like you're the biggest dumb arse in the world. If you have to ask, then you're probably guilty about something... that's my take on it anyway. :)